The SUGSA committee is a group of passionate and dedicated volunteers who want to contribute towards growing the agile community in South Africa. We come from different communities, backgrounds, and experience levels but we have one thing in common – we love all things agile!
We are looking for volunteers wanting to join our 2017 committee. Being on the SUGSA committee is an amazing opportunity to deepen your knowledge, expand your skill set, and make new friends from within the agile community. It’s incredibly rewarding but also a real commitment.
To give you a sense for what it entails we’ve put together a list of some of the things we do:
- Committee day – once the committee is chosen we go away together for a weekend to get to know one another and plan the coming year (this will probably happen in the second week of January)
- Monthly meetings – we meet in person as a group once a month to plan SUGSA activities
- Plan monthly Meetups in Joburg and Cape Town. This entails marketing events, sponsorships, liaising with speakers, booking venues and catering, and being there on the night
- Monthly Lean Coffee’s – we facilitate lean coffee’s in a few locations once a month before work.
- The Scrum Gathering – this is a big one! We have bimonthly calls with the whole committee to plan this (for about 5 months leading up to the event). It ranges from liasing with the Scrum Alliance for funding, reviewing talk submissions, booking venues, organising exciting goodie bags, and much much more.
- The Coaching Retreat. Much like the Scrum Gathering, this takes quite a lot of planning and organising.
- Coaching cirlces – we usually have 3 rounds of coaching circles a year. We set these up and often help facilitate the coaching circles.
- As a thank you for all the hard work, all committee members get to attend the committee weekend away, Scrum Gathering, and Coaching Retreat for free.
If after reading this you think that you not only have the time to commit to this, but most importantly are excited at what you can contribute to this community, please send us a brief motivation about why you would like to join us as well as a little context to what you are currently doing in your role. Please email motivations to email@example.com with “Cape Town Committee 2017 Application” in the subject line.
The deadline for motivations is 30 September. The SUGSA community will be given the opportunity to vote. We hope to finalise selection by the end of October.
We look forward to 2017 with you!